Skip to main content Skip to search

Personal Taxes

Missing Information Slips

If you have not received information slips such as T4, T4A, T3, T5, RRSP or any other slip by the last date of February next year, you can log in to my CRA Account to download the information slips. Employer’s corporates are required to forward the slips to the last known address by the end of February next year. However, if you still find that the information is not available in my CRA Account, you can use your last payment information to include in your tax return when you are filing a paper tax return. Also, you can amend (T1-ADJ) your return by using my CRA Account when information is available.

The following receipts must be attached with a T1 Return at the time of paper filing to avoid any delays in the processing of your return:

  • Donations
  • Medical Expenses
  • RRSP contributions
Read more

Income Tax Return Filing Deadline for Deceased Taxpayers

Prior Year Tax Return

If the tax return of the deceased taxpayer is not filed for the prior year, it must be filed by the legal representative of the deceased taxpayer as soon as possible to avoid interest or penalty.

Taxpayer dies between November 1 and April 30

  • If a taxpayer dies between November 1 and April 30 of the following year, the due date for filing his/her last return will be whichever of the two dates occur later:
    • June 15
    • Six months after the date of death.
  • Self-employed individuals – whichever of the two following dates occurring later:
    • June 15
    • Six months after the date of death.

Taxpayer dies prior to November 1

If the taxpayer dies prior to November 1, the filing deadline will be the normal due date for the deceased taxpayer

Read more

Who must file an Income Tax Return?

You must file an income tax return in the following circumstances:

  • You have tax payable for the year
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner either receive or are entitled to receive the Canada Child Benefit
  • You have disposed of capital property
  • You have a taxable capital gains
  • You have to repay all or a part of the Old Age Security (OAS)
  • You have received a demand from CRA to file a tax return
  • You have to repay all or a part of the Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
  • You have withdrawn money from Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) for home buyers plan or lifelong learning plan and have not fully repaid that money
  • You ceased to be a Canadian resident for tax purposes
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner elected to split pension income

You can always file a tax return, even if you are not required to file an income tax return under the rules above. Filing a tax return will provide you several benefits listed below:

  • You can get the refund for any taxes withheld if your actual tax payable is lower than the taxes withheld
  • You may be entitled to claim federal and provincial credit such as GST/HST credit, Child Tax Benefit, Working Tax Benefit credits, etc.
  • You have non-capital losses in the current year which can be carried back and carried forward to reduce the income of other years
  • You are receiving a Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) under the Old Age Security (OAS) Program
  • If you have earned income, filing a tax return will increase your RRSP contribution room
Read more

Due date of filing income tax return for individuals

An individual must complete his/her income tax return on a calendar year basis (i.e., January 1 to December 31) and file the tax return by April 30 of the following year. Self-employed individuals or a spouse of self-employed individuals are required to file an income tax return by June 15 of the following year. However, any outstanding taxes must be paid by April 30 of the following year.

Income Tax Return filed date as per CRA

  • Date stamped by Post office, courier, or CRA office
  • If the last date of filing return falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or any holiday then the official due date is moved to the following day that is not a holiday.
Read more

Foreign Income Verification

T1135-Foreign Income Verification Statement

All Canadians are required to report their worldwide income as well as any assets outside Canada over $100,000 by using form T1135. But this is the most common mistakes new immigrants are doing by not declaring the foreign income or assets each year. It increases their hassle when they decide to bring back the proceeds of the income or assets from the foreign country. Because if T1135 is not filed each year then CRA considers all the money received as income on the year of receipt and are subject to tax in Canada. These foreign reporting forms provide information to CRA about foreign assets as well as income on foreign assets. This also ensures CRA that the Canadian residents are paying taxes on income earned on foreign assets.

Read more

How to avoid double taxation in Canada?

Foreign Tax Credit

Canadian resident for tax purposes or deemed Canadian residents who were present in Canada for 183 days or more in a taxation year is taxed on their worldwide income. So, they have to report their foreign income on their tax return in Canada and may be subject to double tax on foreign income. In almost all the countries except some places in the middle east, there are taxes on income generated by anyone. So, foreign income may have been subject to foreign taxes, accordingly, in order to avoid double taxation on the same income, a foreign tax credit is available to Canadian taxpayers who have paid foreign income taxes. Taxpayer gets the credit for the foreign taxes they paid in the foreign country and it reduces their overall tax payable in Canada. By granting a foreign tax credit, double taxation is avoided. Foreign business income tax credit if not needed in the current year then it can be carried back 3 years or carried forward for 10 years.

Tax Treaties

The Canadian government has signed tax treaties with several countries to avoid double taxation. Treaties are very specific to a particular country. So, use the provisions of the tax treaty whenever it is favourable to reduce overall taxes.

Read more

Becoming a Non-Resident of Canada


A corporation ceases to be a resident of Canada:

  • If they are incorporated – when they file articles of continuance to change the jurisdiction of the corporation.
  • If they are not incorporated – then by moving the central management of the corporation to outside Canada.

Impact on Tax

When they cease to become resident of Canada for income tax purposes then there will be deemed year-end immediately prior to ceasing residence and corporation has to complete financial books of accounts and has to file the income tax return for the deemed year-end date.



Trust ceases to be a resident of Canada:

  • When they change Canadian resident trustee and appoint non-resident trustee
  • By holding all the trust meeting outside Canada



Individual ceases to be a resident of Canada:

  • When they sold the home or canceled the lease for the house for his/her dwelling in Canada
  • When his/her immediate family moved out of Canada
  • When he/she becomes the resident of another country for tax purposes

Impact on Tax

  • When an individual ceases to become resident of Canada for income tax purposes, then the taxpayer is deemed to have disposed of all properties, immediately prior to ceasing residence for proceeds equal to fair market value. These dispositions will trigger any gains and losses and the taxpayer has to pay taxes on the gains. Any gains or losses after the deemed disposition will not be subject to tax in Canada.
  • Personal Tax Credit will be prorated for the part of the year based on his/her presence in Canada.
Read more

Residence of Corporation for tax purposes in Canada

Corporation Incorporated in Canada

Corporation registered in Canada after April 26, 1965 are deemed to be resident in Canada for tax purposes.


Corporation Not Incorporated in Canada

Corporation not incorporated in Canada is deemed to be resident of Canada for tax purposes if their central management and control of the corporation are in Canada. Central management and control rest with the members of the board of directors and where they meet and hold their meetings.

Read more

Becoming a Canadian Resident for Individual

Once a taxpayer (i.e., individual, corporation or trust) becomes a Canadian resident, then they are subject to tax on their worldwide income.


Individuals are entitled to a personal tax credit, which is based on his/her presence in Canada. Their basic personal tax credit amount will be prorated for the part of the year for their presence in Canada. Following tax credits are not prorated, such as:

  • Dividend Tax Credits
  • Medical Expenses Tax Credits
  • Foreign Tax Credits
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) Tax Credits
  • Employment Insurance (EI) Tax Credits

An individual will become resident of Canada once they purchased or rented house to live in or when their immediate family members moved to Canada.

Federal personal tax credit for 2019 is $12,069 whereas for 2018 it is $11,635. Alberta personal tax credit for 2019 is $19,369 and for 2018 is $18,690.

Deemed Disposition and Reacquisition of Property one day before the acquisition of Canadian residency

When a taxpayer becomes a Canadian Resident it is deemed that the taxpayer has disposed of all property except Canadian taxable property immediately before acquiring Canadian residency and proceeds of disposition is equal to fair market value. The taxpayer reacquires each asset deemed to have been disposed of at fair market value at a cost equal to its proceeds of disposition. These deemed dispositions and reacquisition rules ensure that all the capital gains and losses are triggered on all the property except Canadian taxable property on disposition. After that, if there are any gains, then it will be subject to taxation in Canada.


Mr. A was formerly a resident of India for income tax purposes. Mr. A’s family moved to Canada on March 15, 2017. Mr. A owns a house worth of $500,000 which was acquired by Mr. A for $400,000. So, due to this disposition and reacquisition rules, it is deemed that the house of Mr. A is disposed of for $500,000 and reacquired for $500,000 on March 14, 2017. After that, any gains on the property over $500,000 (ACB, i.e., Adjusted Cost Base) will be subject to Canadian Taxation. Personal Tax Credits will be prorated for 320 days in 2017 tax return.

Read more

Uses of financial reports

Financial statements may be used by different stakeholders for a multitude of purposes. Owners and managers require financial statements to make important business decisions affecting its continued operations. Financial analysis is then performed on these statements, providing management with a more detailed understanding of the figures.

Read more